Monday, June 2, 2008

The Shoe Cobbler

I have these types of conversations with Ted on a regular basis:

ME: You can't wear that
Ted: what? why not?
ME: It just doesn't go...gray and brown just don't go together and p.s. your belt should also match your shoes...it doesn't.
Ted: Says who? What fact based evidence do you have that these things don't match? Where is the book? Your degree in clothes matching? huh? huh? Why should I believe you???
ME: Trust me hun...it just doesn't go. I'm only looking out for you -k.
Ted: Whatever, you're the only one that even notices, I don't need to change my clothes....

To which I roll my eyes, smile and walk away because I know in 1 minute he will most likely be in something different.

We also have conversations about old clothes and shoes that he refuses to throw away. One particular pair of shoes (shown in the photo above) have been haunting me ever since we got married. They are old, ugly and the soles are completely pulling apart. I beg him to let me throw them away at least once a month... the conversation goes like this:

ME: Can I throw those piece a crap shoes away please?
Ted: Those are awesome, good quality shoes Jen, I've had them since my mission.
ME: Exactly....what was that like 50 years ago?
Ted: They are in great shape I just need to get them re-soled
ME: I'm sure you can buy a new pair for cheaper then re-soling them would cost.
Ted: I doubt it...

So today I opened our garbage to find the VERY SHOES I've been dying to throw away IN THE GARBAGE. You can imaging my SHOCK! So I frantically call Ted:

ME: Ted....there must be some mistake! Your shoes are in the garbage and I swear I didn't put them there!!!
Ted: (Laughing because he knows I'm being sarcastic) Well I took them to the shoe repair shop and it turns out it would cost me $55 just to have them re-soled.
ME: Wow, you totally made my day ;) Thanks, Love ya~

15 comments:

The DAY Ohana said...

hahahaha! I was cracking up through that whole dialogue! Knowing you both, I could totally hear the conversation! Glad you got rid of those, Ted!
luvs
charlene

Elena said...

He always looks put together at church - so he must listen to you more than you think. At least you are training him well so that all those little boys you have will know what's what.

Heidi said...

So funny! I can name some things I wish Erik would throw out, but I think every wife can do that. Ted cracks us up. He is the funnest Home Teacher! We love it when he comes over;)

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. Jeff still holds on to a few things that he refuses to throw out, but as long as he doesn't wear them I don't care how long he holds on to them for nostalgia purposes. Jeff I think is a little color blind and has no confidence in his fashion sense although I think he's actually pretty good at it, but he is always asking, "Does this look okay?" And I always have to play the fashion consultant and help him pick out his clothes for each trip. Anyway--glad he finally let them go. Great job on the break through Ted. Love your conversations though really too funny.

Chandra said...

At least you're husband didn't want to get his Mission shoes bronzed! I dont think I'm ever gonna see those shoes in the garbage... woe is me.

Cherish said...

I bet after all these years that was a fun surprise to open the garbage and see them in there...especially knowing you didn't have to put them there. I don't understand why guys don't get that you can't wear certain things together...is it really that hard to figure out?
Whenever I see Ted he looks nice...good job!

Beth said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Kyle & I have had that matching conversation several hundred times already.. he thinks any brown, grey, khaki goes together. And, he just barely learned the belt & shoes thing. Poor little sweethearts... what did they do without us?? :)

Jenny Hart Turk said...

Funny Turcsanski boys. Andrew wasn't as stubborn, but we've had many conversations like that before too.

Anthony & Lauri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA. I TELL YA THAT TED IS QUITE THE CHARACTER, ISN’T HE? HA HA HA! HE IS SUCH A CATCH FOR YOU, JEN. YOU'RE THE LUCKIEST GAL IN THE WORLD. II BET YOU TELL YOUR SELF THAT 24-7, HUH? HE ALWAYS LOOKS SO HOT NO MATTER WHATEVER HE WEARS, DON'T YA THINK? NOT THAT I'M ATTRACTED TO HIM OR ANYTHING. BUT HE DOES HAVE KIND OF A CUTE NOSE. WELL, MY HUSBAND, TOO, IS SUCH THE OLD-WORN-OUT-CLOTHES HORDER. BUT HE IS SO PERFECT FOR ME IN OUR PERFECT LIFE THAT IS WAY MORE PERFECT THAN ANY ONE ELSE’S....WELL, LISTEN TO ME RAMBLING ON ABOUT MYSELF AGAIN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'D DO WITH OUT MY SWEETIE MUNCHKIN POOKIE BUMS. AHH ISN'T LIFE SWELL? BUT BACK TO THAT TEDLY. WHAT A CRACK UP! I BET YOUR GUT HURTS FROM HIM MAKING YOU LAUGH YOUR A__ OFF ALL DAY LONG! I SURE WISH MY HUSBAND WAS AS CHARISMATIC, SMART, HILARIOUS, HANSOM, SMART, FUNNY AS TED ALWAYS IS. OH WELL, I GUESS LIFE MUST GO ON, RIGHT? I CAN’T WAIT TIL THE NEXT TED EPISODE. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING MORE ABOUT YOUR SUPER COOL LIFE THAT YOU LEAD TOGETHER. TELL ME WHAT IS IT LIKE BEING THE TURKS? I BET IT’S SO RAD! LUV YA TONS & KEEP EM COMING :)...........WELL YOU KNOW WHO I AM!

Bryn said...

So freaking funny! I'm laughing out loud because as I read this I totally hear your voices arguing with eachother over this. I used to fight with Kurt over what he wore and what is in style, or matches but I gave up, it wasn't worth the battle and chances are if I tell him I don't like it he'll wear it everytime we go out just to get to me. Ugh. How exciting that you won the fight and the mission shoes are outta there!

Kristen said...

I love that!!! I let Josh save his crappy mission dr martens and we use them for Missionary lessons in church. I acutally used them on Sunday. But they live in a garbage bag in the basement. I love that he argues with you and then takes your suggestions seriously in the end. What a good hubby.

DTanner said...

Hmmmm... If only I could figure out a way to get rid of my husbands favorite t-shirt that he wears almost everyday! sigh....

Lacey said...

another thing our husbands have in common. I just simple take one thing out of his closet at a time or find a new home(trash) for it when I'm doing laundry. One time i cleaned out the closet and had a huge bag of his stuff ready to go DI and I made the mistake of leaving the bag out and 3/4 of it went back in his closet. Don't they know they have to make room for the new???

Lindsey said...

That is too funny!!! It seems like I've had that conversation quite a few times as well. When will they ever understand!!! My husband still has stuff from college. :)