Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I TRIed to TRI...but it was so hard so I just finished.

(Aaron- my brother, Diana- family friend, Me - Crazy)

Well the Triathlon was interesting. I don't think I'll EVER do that particular race again...especially pregnant. My Dad "conveniently" forgot to mention to me that it is ranked the hardest Tri in Utah and you have to run in SAND the entire WAY!! Thanks Dad...I should have known you'd pull something like that ;) It was freezing and windy that morning and I was secretly FREAKING out about the swim. The white caps were crazy and I watched a ton of the Olympic distance athletes (you know the ones who actually know what they are doing) being pulled out of the water by jet skis and onto this boat to take them back to shore because they just couldn't make the swim in those conditions. So at that point I start praying for a miracle since I'm WAAAAAY too proud and stubborn to bow out of something I know will most likely be the death of me. All of a sudden before the Sprint Distance heats started they announced they would be canceling the swim because of the danger and we would just start on the bike. I'm telling you right now GOD answers PRAYERS!!! It was one of a few miracles I've witnessed in my life. Anyway, everything else was fine SLOW but fine. It was still windy on the bike and if you've ever biked in the wind....it's pretty much like biking UP hill the entire time. Like I cared. I was too busy munching on my power bars and enjoying the breeze the other bikers shared as they raced past me. Wait, what....was this a race? Ted was dying that I took a 10 min pit stop in the transition area before starting the run while everyone else was in and out in 2 or 3 minutes. Again... this is a race??? I guess that competitive spirit in me just decided to take a little break. So I finished. The End.
Uncle Kelly & Ted...most likely talking about the Angels
Dad starting the "wet-suit jam your body in" portion of the morning
Diana- did the Olympic distance,took 2nd place in her age division, finished the swim!
( Wonder Woman)
I haven't even started and I look sooooo happy
( this was before I found out they canceled my swim)
the boat bringing the almost drowning victims back in
This is my brother Aaron who I saw in this position as I was leaving for the run. He was already finished with the ENTIRE triathlon. Stud.
Uncle Kelly from Cali
I can see the finish line at this point. Which is the only reason I am smiling.
Cheering for my Dad on the home stretch.
Max and Diana on a little hike in Snow Canyon
The Family (well some of them)

13 comments:

Elena said...

Oh, my gosh. I'm so stinkin' proud of you. Really, I'm in awe and amazed. By the way, you are very photogenic. You're always on the other end of the camera, but those pics of you are beautiful. So, to recap, you are beautiful and amazing. Good job. When do you find out the gender????

Carla said...

Jen, I admire your tenacity. Your fervor and willpower to endeavor and achieve pursuits like this and others in your life is commendable.

Jenny Hart Turk said...

You rock jen. I heard from a co-worker that did the same sprint that they had cancelled the swim. I don't think I could have hacked it. Good job with sticking it out though!

DTanner said...

You're my hero for even Tri-ing! ;)

Kristen said...

I can't believe you did that especially pregnant. You are my hero, in more ways that one. Way to go! You have more talent in your pinky than I do in my whole body.

Cherish said...

Way to Go! You are amazing...I'm so glad the swim got cancelled. That sounds like it would of been ugly! You have my sympathy admiration and praises!
I've been thinking about you and hope all is going well with Max. I've tried to call you but you are one busy girl!

Emily R said...

way to go. i tried a 5k when i was preggers, and wanted to kill myself... (well, i had an ulcer and a kidney stone and it was 100degrees - but still) i am not one of those people who can do things like that. maybe someday with inspiration from you and dawn... ;)

Heidi said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you would even attempt that while pregnant. Being pregnant means that you are free from anything that might resemble working out for 9 months. Congratulations!!!

Beth said...

I should just put ditto on all of the comments above - you are a STUD for even trying and completing it! I am so impressed. I would have said "oopsie.. pregnant.. guess I'm out! Shucks!" ;)

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

Jen... I am glad to see the pics of your race. A Triathalon is my NEXT adventure.. Sept 4th.. I am looking forward to getting ALL your TIPS in a few weeks when you are down here. I am sure the experiance was totally rewarding, even with all the setbacks. You are an inspiration to me. Congrats on FINISHING... After all that is the WIN most of us are looking for.

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

Jen... I am glad to see the pics of your race. A Triathalon is my NEXT adventure.. Sept 4th.. I am looking forward to getting ALL your TIPS in a few weeks when you are down here. I am sure the experiance was totally rewarding, even with all the setbacks. You are an inspiration to me. Congrats on FINISHING... After all that is the WIN most of us are looking for.

Chad & Dawn Howey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McCartneys said...

Holy cow your crazy, I was like "Tri, Tri" What does that mean.....then I read further down --I cant beleive your Preg. again. Gimmie a chance to catch-up would ya!!
Scarey about Max, Im so glad he's doing ok. Its freaky how things can change in an instant! Keep in touch. Tell your parents hi!