Thursday, May 8, 2008

Really Bad Day

Yesterday was pretty much the worst day of my life. About 5:30pm I sat Max down in front of the TV, left the room for about a minute to grab a load of laundry to fold. When I got back in my room Max's eyes were rolling back in his head and his face was pale. I picked him up and he just laid there in my arms lifeless and unconscious. At this point I'm really starting to freak out and lose it, I dialed 911 and could barely talk through my tears and hysterics but managed to get our address out to the operator. He was asking me a gazillion questions and trying to keep me calm but all I could think was "my baby is dying right in my arms what do I do." A few minutes into the 911 call, while still unconscious Max started having a seizure in my arms and as I'm sure you can imagine that really sent me into an emotional tail spin. Within a minute the seizure was over and he opened his eyes and just started screaming for about 10 seconds then went right back into this unconscious state. About that time Ted got home and a few minutes after the Firetruck, ambulance and police car arrived. Quite a scene for our little Ginger Place cul de sac The paramedics checked all his vitals and made sure he was stable to transport. He came out of his unconscious state while they were checking him over and just kept doing this blank stare and unresponsive look. By the time we got loaded in the ambulance he was pretty alert and doing well. During the ambulance ride he zoned in and out a few times but mostly just seemed really agitated and fussy.

The hospital was another joy....finding a vein for an I.V. in a chubby 18 month old sure was fun. The plastic straight jacket contraption they put him in for the chest x-ray was heart breaking to watch, Ted had to hold his head down while they tried to get a decent CT scan which didn't really happen because he had really had it by this point with all the test, prodding and poking. Finally, Max decided to pull his I.V. out which resulted in quite a mess and another screaming episode while we pinned him down to get it under control.

Anyway, it was just a really long night for all of us. We were sent home with little answers and told to see his pediatrician and schedule an EEG at Primary Children's. This morning his pediatrician seemed to think the seizure was most likely brought on by sudden spike in his temperature. I checked his temp through out the day and he never had a fever he just seemed to sleep a lot through out the day leading up to the seizure. Apparently, even a slight change in his temperature by a degree or two could be enough to bring on the seizure. So we're going to go with that for now and hope it was a one time thing.

Today he has been doing great and seems to be completely back to his crazy self. After a sleepless night I am just grateful to have Max back to his normal self as wild as that may be. Ted was so great through out the whole ordeal, kept things positive and gave Max the sweetest blessing at the hospital. We are so grateful to have so many of you as friends and family and are so thankful for all your sweet phone calls, prayers and concern for our family. After we got home from the hospital I just cried as I listened to all the messages on our machine. We are truly, truly blessed to know you. Thank you so much. We love you.

12 comments:

Jenny Hart Turk said...

We are so glad Max is doing better. It sounds like he probably just had a febrile seizure, which is very good compaired to the alternative. I hope your appointment for the EEG goes well next week! -Jenny

The Steenhoek Clan said...

Wow, sounds like quite the event. I hope everything goes ok with the EEG. Let us know what they find...

Anthony & Lauri said...

I'm thankful little MAX is feeling himself. He's been in our thoughts ever since. Give him a big hug and juicy kiss for us.

Cherish said...

Oh, Jen...I'm so sorry! Reading your blog felt exactly like reading my own journal-almost word for word. Our situations are EXACTLY the same...minus the fever. Oh...I feel for you and your family. It is SOSSOSO SCARY! If you need to talk I am always here...I completely understand your feelings and know the helplessness and desperation you felt in that moment looking at him unconsious. Hang in there...hope you get some rest.

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

Jen - I am so sorry to hear about max. It sucks to be helpless as a parent and see something so precious as your own child in sick, or in pain. It is absolutly heart renching. I hope everything turns out ok. You'll be in our prayers.

gabe and family said...

TedJen,
Heard about Max earlier and just read the details. What an ordeal! Good to hear that he is feeling better.
Gabe and family

Elena said...

Oh, gosh, Jen. How mortifyingly scary. I bet you just want to hold that cute, little guy and squeeze him all day. I hope it was a one time fluke that just turns into a bad memory. Let me know if you need me to watch Jack during doctor visits.

DTanner said...

Wow! I can definitely say, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Derrick had the same thing happen when he was about the same age. They told me the same thing... high fever. Even still, anytime Derrick gets a high fever he gets really weird and starts hallucinating. Best of luck to you. Glad it was not more serious.

Kristen said...

I have been worrying for you guys, I am glad everything is ok. And congrats on the new baby...that is awesome, especially since you didn't have to go through the...should we have another one? or not? now you just have to get through the whole pregnancy/newborn thing. Good Luck!

Kristen said...

I have been worrying for you guys, I am glad everything is ok. And congrats on the new baby...that is awesome, especially since you didn't have to go through the...should we have another one? or not? now you just have to get through the whole pregnancy/newborn thing. Good Luck!

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, Jen.. SO SCARY! I don't know what I would do besides cry and freak out! That does sound like a BAD DAY but glad that everything seems back to normal and that you have a lot of friends & family for moral support.

Van Cott Family said...

By the time you said seizure I was in tears oh my-- Hope all is still well and it was only a one time nightmare!
and congrats on the pregnancy! too bad I am not there to go through it with you, I bet Max and Isaac would be good buddies!
--julie